Monday, June 04, 2007

Wedding, Birthday and Now - A Funeral

It was quite a weekend.

Friday
After a day in the school office, an early birthday lunch and a wedding rehearsal, I stopped at school friend's house for happy hour. They've just bought a "deck boat." Powered by an electric motor that has a top speed of about 3 mph, this floating deck cruises one of the Reston lakes. It was a pleasure to slowly cruise and chat.

Saturday
A widower neighbor, friend and fellow parishoner celebrated life by marrying a woman he met in a supper club whose members are also fellow parishoners. I knew his first wife and now I'm thrilled to know his second wife. The joyful ceremony was bracketed by a Friday rehearsal dinner, a Saturday wedding luncheon and a Sunday post-church brunch. Two families joined, clearly delighted that their parents, brother and sister have found life partners.

It was my birthday on Saturday. After the wedding, I went shopping with two of my daughters and then came home for a hamburgers-from-the-grill dinner with friends. Cap all that off with chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream shared with the younger set of neighborhood kids and you'd think the day was perfect, right? Then came phone calls from my sister-in-law, sister and oldest daughter. Even more perfect? Oops... one more call! This time from the Dominican Republic - a raucous call with lots of people in the background shouting, "¡Feliz cumpleaƱos!" and the voice of my Dominican priest with a blessing for the coming year. Ahhhh, perfection for sure!

Sunday.
Another good weekend day. I stayed in the service to sing ALL SEVEN verses of the hymn St. Patrick's Breastplate. I really do like the hymn, even if it becomes a bit tedious by the fifth verse. I always end up laughing by the end... it just keeps on going! Remember my confirmation class? The kids and parents brought food and lemonade then gave Rosie, Bill and me thank you gifts. In honor of our rainy field trips, we received rain gear! I got a navy blue umbrella with teal colored ruffles! And then, they presented us with a check to sponsor a child's school year in the Dominican Republic.

Next, I was off to the annual pre-mission trip planning meeting/pool party. Though the weather was misty and cool, the hot tub was warm and inviting. Good friends, good stories, good soaking; lots of good planning and lots of laughter. And, more birthday cake!

Late in the evening, I sat on the couch editing a document which I put up on Google documents. When I looked at my gmail account I noticed a news release from the Episcopal Church listserve. The release was titled, "Auto accident claims life of Northern Michigan Bishop James Kelsey." I read the article through at least three times before I started calling friends like Progressive Pragmatist. I had to make it real somehow.

Now, I've only met Jim Kelsey once, but he's my dear friend Fran's bishop. Yes, Fran-of-the-Questions, Fran of Notes from the UP Road, Fran who is on vacation and now knows that her wonderful, articulate, progressive bishop is gone. I was present at Fran's ordination to the deaconate and blown away by this casual, approachable man dressed in bishop's clothing. (The photo is Fran's ordination to the priesthood by +Jim.)

I think I remember this feeling of loss. It's like hearing that Robert Kennedy had died. Both Kennedy and +Kelsey embodied hope for change. They were both articulate men whose passion for their cause was infectious.

So, pray for this man, +Jim Kelsey. And pray for us, all of us. As his family says:

"The world became a darker place with the passing of James Arthur Kelsey. James gained love and respect from everyone he met in his professional and personal life. James spent his life giving. Giving of his time, his heart, and his soul to help anyone and everyone in need. His levels of compassion and kindness were unparalleled. A courageous man, willing to stand up for his beliefs, James Kelsey was the benchmark to which great men are judged. Not only a great man, but a great husband, and father. There was no better model for how to be a truly wonderful human being than the one he provided for his sons and daughter.


"If the world were full of more men like James Arthur Kelsey, it would be a wonderful place. Sadly, today we find ourselves with one less."


And, as Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori says:

"The Episcopal Church has today lost one of its bright lights. We will be less without the easy grace of Bishop James Kelsey -- Jim to most of us -- and we shall miss his humor, insight, and passion for the ministry of all. He gave us much. We pray for the repose of his soul, and for his family. We pray also for the Diocese of Northern Michigan. All of us have lost a friend. May he rest in peace and rise in glory."

Sigh. It had been a good weekend.

No comments: