Friday, June 01, 2007

Questions & Answers

Last month, after posting answers to several questions, my friend Fran put this message on her blog...

OK. Now it’s your turn! Here’s how it works: Leave me a comment saying, “Interview me” I’ll email you five hopefully provocative, entertaining questions. There’ll be different questions from the ones I’ve answered here (that’s the beauty of this!) You update your own blog with the answers to the questions I sent, and include an explanation of how this worked with an offer to interview someone else in the same post. When other people comment on your blog asking to be interviewed, you get to ask them five questions, and the process evolves. It's fun - so try it!

I decided to ask her to design 5 questions for me. Here goes!

1. Is there a place, anywhere in the world, that you have not yet seen and that you long to travel to? If so, where and why? I would very much like to spend time with aboriginal people in their own place. I’m fascinated by people who are “untouched” by this outside world that I spin around in. Now, if I were to be a tourist somewhere, Iceland is on my top ten list, as are the Galapagos and somewhere penguins live.

2. You are granted any one superhero power. Which one do you choose and why do you choose it? Invisibility. There are times I’d like to be in a setting but not have the event affected by my presence - the old “fly on the wall” thing.

3. What is your favourite musical group or musician?
John Prine would likely be my favorite musician.

What do you like about his/her/their music? There was a time when I knew most of John Prine’s songs by heart. While I can’t personally identify with some of his songs, they all say things I understand. The lyrics paint pictures I can clearly see. His voice is comfortable for me to listen to and evokes fond memories of some good times.

What is your favourite song by that person/group? Oh, gosh – Dear Abby makes me laugh, Grandpa Was a Carpenter reminds me of how much I admired my grandfathers, Hello In There challenges me to be who I want to be.

4. Describe yourself as a food or drink. For example: Might you be a crusty loaf of bread? A cup of hot chocolate? A spicy curry? Or something else entirely? In your answer, describe which food you chose and why you chose it. I would be lasagne. It’s made of many layers and different people have particular favorite layers. The tomato sauce would be a little spicy and a little sweet, there would be no meat and no veggies, the cheeses would be really nice ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan, the corners would be browned and crusty. It’s a meal for company and also good the next day as a meal for one or two.

5. If you could go back in history to witness any one event, what would it be and why? I tend to think that the “right” answer to this question (and its follow-up question) is something connected to Jesus. Letting go of “right,” I will instead say I’d like to witness Teddy Roosevelt visiting Yellowstone for the first time.

And even though this could technically be called a sixth question, I really want to know the answer. So I'm calling it a subset of this one; I'm hoping you won't notice! If you could go back in history and meet any historical figure, who would you choose and why? OK, so I guess I really will get into the Jesus story. I’d like to meet those famous sisters Mary and Martha. I’ve always taken the “Martha In the Kitchen” story personally. I’d like to sit with them for a while and absorb some of their understanding of walking with Jesus.

So, in the words of Fran... now it's your turn. :-)

2 comments:

Gallycat said...

Yay! Fran has a blog, too?!

You can interview me if you want.

~H

Abuela Marty said...

OK! H, here you go! Have fun and pass along the game.

Questions for Gallycat

1. When you take a deep breath and visualize a place to sit while you center yourself, where do you go?
2. What’s your absolute favorite dessert?
3. If you could live in any one place for 5 years, where would you live? Who and what would you take with you?
4. What is the song that most often repeats in the soundtrack of your life?
5. You’ve been given the ability and time to knit your dream project. What would it be? What fiber would you use? What fabulous material would your knitting needles be made from?