Monday, April 13, 2009

Favorite Flowers

Oh, first...
1. Behold! My messy desk at work, symbol of the fact that I have a job.
2. Behold! A great cup of coffee with the office friends.
3. Behold! The warm cat curled up at my knee.

Now, favorite flowers.

I love flowers. I think I've always loved flowers. I remember making tiny bouquets of dandelions and violets to give to people. I remember wondering why anyone would want to kill clover in the yard, it has such a pretty bloom. I remember my grandmother's peonies, gathered in big wash tubs to place in the cemetery on "decoration day." I remember falling in love with the yellow-to-pink transition of the peace rose.

Wildflowers fascinate me... Dutchman's Breeches made sense to me, remembering the clothes worn by the folks in Pella, Iowa during the street washing of the Tulip Time parade. Jack-in-the-Pulpit is another of my favorite wildflowers, especially after touring some of the colonial era churches in this region and seeing their sounding-board covered pulpits!

I also love Bleeding Hearts. It's another old-fashioned flower that reminds me of grandmothers. Right now we have a big plant blooming in our front garden. The light was so pretty on the pink blooms when we came home from Easter dinner that I now have a new desktop picture and a new Facebook profile picture.

Now, next week, I'll probably be in love with lily of the valley. But for today, I really love bleeding heart.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love bleeding hearts! It's a very lovely picture!:))

Erin said...

1- I had no idea you had a blog. I enjoy reading it :) (Even though I should be packing)
2- I'm jealous you still have a cat to curl up on your knee.

Erin said...

1- I had no idea you had a blog. I enjoy reading it :) (Even though I should be packing)
2- I'm jealous you still have a cat to curl up on your knee.