Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Off to the Weiner Dog Races!

I guess it's been about two years since I started reading a blog called The Roller Skate Jams. I clicked on the blog title because it was under a heading of "Fun People" and I was trying to figure out just what jam had to do with roller skates. (Yes, it's true!) The fun person is Rene Gutel and if you look closely at her little profile picture, you'll see a girl wearing pajamas with roller skates on them... oh, duh!!!

I returned to the blog because Rene's little dachshund puppy Rigatoni had broken her leg. Oh, the pain. I don't think Rigatoni hurt nearly as much as Rene did! And, like any good soap opera, the chapters kept coming and I kept reading. Rigatoni made a full recovery, so well-recovered in fact, that Rene entered her in the Phoenix area WeinerNational Dog Race.

If you were to ask me why "weiner dogs" are burdened with raising money for the Adopt-A-Greyhound organization, I might respond that weiner dogs were born to run... but that would be the greyhounds, wouldn't it? Or, I might respond that weiner dogs are philanthropists at heart. To give Rigatoni a chance to show off both her legs and her heart in the annual event to support her long-legged cousins, you can click and scroll past Milo D, Jessie, Squirt, Izzie, Mia, Roxie, Oliver, Max, Sprocket, The Dude, Twinky and Goofy to RIGATONI wearing her #6 jersey. Click on the link to get to the donations page and remember to specify Rigatoni. You'll get an email receipt for your tax-deductible donation and the pleasure of sending Rigatoni back to the WeinerNational!

Donate soon! The top 20 fundraisers will automatically be entered in the qualifying heats. The race to donate closes May 4. The dogs will race on May 17. Let's hope Rigatoni is one of them!

1 comment:

Rene said...

Oh, I love it! Thank you SO, SO much for blogging about the wienernationals! We're all pulling for Rigatoni this year... I think some special training is in order!