Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Yellow? Not Pink?

I got a call today about church flowers. I've been doing a lot of wedding flowers lately and had thought to make a fun arrangement for church on Sunday including some summer farmers market bounty. But that won't happen.

The caller said that Angelique has died. Now, I don't know Angelique personally. I do know several members of her extended family. She was an elderly lady, frail enough in body that she hadn't been to a church service for quite some time. Her spirit was strong, though, and she had communion brought to her home. I know that she was the recipient of a beautiful pink prayer shawl.

That would be why I questioned my caller when she said Angelique's daughter had requested YELLOW roses.

"Really, not pink?" I asked. "No," said my caller, "Her daughter said Angelique loved pink clothes but yellow was her favorite flower color." So, we'll have yellow roses and white gladiolus. And on Monday, we'll lay to rest a matriarch.

Friends, when you wonder about flowers for my funeral (some day far in the future!), tell the church ladies to make the arrangements big and bright. When it's all over, though, just leave a couple blooms wherever you leave my remains... take the rest of the flowers home and enjoy them! And when you wander through the farmers market in the summer, remember how blessed we are that God's creation includes zinnias, lisianthus, sunflowers and lilies. Take home a fistful of flowers and think of me.

1 comment:

Betsy said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes. You see, I made that pink prayer shawl about one year ago. At the time, Angelique had not been feeling well, and I remember praying that she would find healing and comfort (a prayer shawl is more than a fashion accessory, it has knit within it prayers for its wearer.) I'm not sure that Angelique had a very comfortable final year, but she always kept up a brave front, dignified and more concerned for her visitor's welfare than her own. Bless her heart, she's now in a place where she can wear all the pink she wants while she dances the night away in a ballroom decked out in yellow roses.