Saturday, August 25, 2007

What's In A Name?

My name is Martha. I've always taken the story of Martha-in-the-kitchen-while-Mary-enjoys-Jesus-time personally. I do like having a biblical name, and I do like the reminder to look for the Mary moments of my life and fully participate in them.

My "Mary moments" this week were times with my children. The reminders to cherish such moments were strong. Megan was in town to attend a viewing for a high school classmate who died of a brain aneurysm. Auntie Erin postponed her return to college to that she could see her sister and niece. Auntie Clare and I also got some good Hannah time.

Thursday evening, in the course of some volunteer work, I saw Esperanza for the first time in several weeks. She left town quickly to be with her son who was suffering from kidney failure. Her son died within hours of her arrival. I told Esperanza that I was sorry for her loss. We cried together. We'll probably cry together the next time I see her, too.

As I was driving home, knowing that Megan and Hannah were at my house, I remembered that the word "esperanza" means "hope." I think that Esperanza will have a hard time living into her name for a while. I felt a little guilty leaving the grieving mother to be with a joyful little 7-month-old. Esperanza will be in my prayers; I will pray for hope.

Photo is Auntie Clare with Hannah. 8.23.2007

No comments: