Monday, March 05, 2007

Winter's Last Blast?

In a late January post I lamented that winter had not made much of an appearance here. I was concerned that spring would come and we wouldn't use our school system's 3 built in "snow days." Silly me! Since then, the school system closed for 4 snow days - actually it was sleet that froze into a very dangerous blanket of ice. Now the kids will be in school on a day they had previously been given off. Bummer.

Still, here in Virginia, we have nothing to complain about. We even got one of those picturesque snows that line every twig of a tree, every stalk of grass. It was wet snow that would occasionally avalanche from one branch to another down a tree.

I'm more comfortable now with the glimpses of spring. A wren sang beautifully Saturday morning. Soon he'll be searching for those formerly snow-laden twigs to invite a lady friend to housekeeping. Soon those growing stems of daffodils will burst with yellow blooms.

But I'm rushing the season. I've been invited to a Holy Lent. The flowers need to wait. Gotta get back into "Watch and Pray" mode!

No comments: