Thursday, March 15, 2007

Irish Heritage

It's a joke around my house. One of them will smile and say, "Mom, we love you even if you're NOT Irish!"

My own heritage is mostly German. There's a little English thrown in now and then but I suppose my side of the family should celebrate Oktoberfest more than St. Patrick's Day. I married a man whose mother was born and raised in Ireland. I don't think there's a drop of German blood in his veins, though he was born in Germany.

My children grew up with an Irish grandmother who taught them about leprechuans, Crunchie candy bars and Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles. I'm a little jealous that my kids can rightfully claim St. Patrick's Day for themselves.

I am lucky enough to have had an Irish mother-in-law who loved gardenias, served real whipped cream on a fruit flan, bought me my first Flake bar and introduced me to Marks & Spencer.

I like Guinness stout, Belleek pottery, listening to the Chieftains and drinking Irish Mist. Flogging Molly makes me laugh, I chose not to kiss the Blarney Stone and I make pretty good soda bread.

So thanks, kids and husband, for sharing your Irishness with me. And thanks, Mom. Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!!

No comments: