Wednesday, May 14, 2008

How We Go 'Round and 'Round

I've joined a women's fitness program offered by a local runners group each spring. Mind you, I'm in the walking category. The program meets on Mondays and we're supposed to walk, walk/run or run on our own during the week. I was trudging along yesterday when I found myself laughing at a particular circle game.

I live in a planned community where straight streets are the thoroughfares and houses are arranged on curvy streets. Near my house is a street that's actually a circle and is used as the neighborhood exercise track, that's where I was walking. On my second lap around the circle I noticed a family. Mom, dad, and toddler were walking the opposite direction from me. Mom held the boy's hand, dad pushed a stroller in case someone's short legs gave out. Then, a teenager whisked elegantly toward me. She sprinted lightly past the young family. I saw her again as we all made our way around the circle. That's when it hit me... we were three stages of life playing our circle game. The teenager, the young family and the grandma.

Laughing, I trudged more easily around the last circuit before heading for the house, the house where I had been the young mother, and from whose door a teenage runner had sprinted out to lap a grandma on the circle road.

No comments: