Tuesday, January 09, 2007

In the Bleak Midwinter...

While sharing an Epiphany meal, the music rolled around to the hymn whose lyrics are Christina Rosetti's poem, In the Bleak Midwinter. (Click on the post title for a link to the hymn.) Many of us in the room sighed with pleasure, remarking that it was one of our favorite Christmas songs.

Fran, who has New Zealand connections, laughed when I asked how that hymn works in a New Zealand Christmas. She said they have their own Christmas hymns down under. I know from my years in Puerto Rico that snow is not a central feature of the Christmas season in many cultures. Indeed, here in northern Virginia, we had Christmas temperatures in the 60s this year - even 70 on the Epiphany potluck evening!

When this photo, taken last fall of friends in the hot tub, arrived in my mail today, I had to chuckle. During what is passing for bleak midwinter, there is promise of the summer. I hope the contrast of title and photo brings a smile to you. Midwinter is fine but "show your pedicure" weather will be wonderful!

3 comments:

MargretH said...

These are the days I'm glad I wasn't in the hot tub. :)

That photo is great.

M

Abuela Marty said...

Quite the bathing beauties, aren't we?!?

Fran said...

Now the difference here is that I totally wish I were in the hot tub.

Hugs to all,
Fran